Ian is a Yorta Yorta man who has been actively involved in the Victorian Indigenous community in a personal and professional capacity for many years. He has had a wide level of exposure to policy development and program management through his work with the Federal Government (Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health) and the Victorian Government (Department of Justice; Department of Planning and Community Development, Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources).
Ian is also a former President of the Western Region Football League, one of the major Australian football leagues in Melbourne.
Ian holds a number of leadership positions including:
- Chairperson: First Nations Foundation (national)
- Chairperson: Connecting Home Ltd (Stolen Generations Service)
- Chairperson: Koorie Heritage Trust (Vic) (Victorian Indigenous arts trust)
- Deputy Chair: Aboriginal Housing Victoria Ltd
- Director: Tigers in Community Foundation
- Member: Sustainable Forestry Council, Victorian Association of Forest Industries